ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Senate adjourns sans leadership change; new committee chairpersons named


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.
Senate adjourns sans leadership change; new committee chairpersons named

The Senate adjourned on Monday without any leadership change.

Despite talks of a possible revamp in the chamber leadership, the Senate adjourned session around 4:40 p.m. after convening as an impeachment court for the trial of Vice President Sara Duterte and approving new committee chairmanships.

There were, however, changes in the committee chairmanships in the following:

  • Culture and the Arts — Loren Legarda
  • Ways and Means — Pia Cayetano
  • Health — Bong Go
  • Higher, Technical and Vocational Education — Joel Villanueva
  • National Defense and Security — Jinggoy Estrada
  • Sports — Bong Go
  • Sustainable Development Goals — Pia Cayetano
  • Basic Education — Loren Legarda
  • Public Services — Rodante Marcoleta
  • Public Information and Mass Media — Robin Padilla
  • Cultural Communities and Muslim Affairs — Robin Padilla
  • Games and Amusements — Jinggoy Estrada
  • Energy — Pia Cayetano

Earlier in the day, Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano dismissed rumors of possible leadership changes, saying the 13-member majority bloc remains intact. This developed days after Cayetano disclosed there were efforts to unseat him, just days after he took over the leadership of the chamber.

“Kung nilagay ako dito ng Panginoon for an eight-day mission, tatanggapin ko ’yun. Pero kung ang mission ko ay simulan ang impeachment, tatanggapin ko rin ’yun,” he said.

(If God put me here for an eight-day mission, I would accept that. But if my mission is to begin the impeachment proceedings, I would also accept that.)

Also on Monday, Senator JV Ejercito declined Cayetano's offer to be Senate Majority Leader, saying he wants to remain independent, but later said that he will be with the minority. On the other hand, Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri said he would join the minority bloc headed by former Senate President Vicente Sotto III. — RSJ, GMA News