Senate sets June 1 deadline for Sara Duterte's impeachment summons response
Vice President Sara Duterte has until June 1 to answer the writ of summons issued against her in relation to her impeachment case, Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano said Wednesday.
Cayetano made the announcement as he confirmed the Senate Sergeant-at-Arms (SAA) formally served the writ of summons and copies of the Impeachment Articles to Duterte earlier in the day.
The Office of the Vice President (OVP) confirmed receipt of the documents.
"I respectfully inform the body that today May 20, 2026 the summons in relation to the Articles of Impeachment filed against Vice President Sara Duterte was duly-served upon respondent Vice Pesident Sara Z. Duterte," Cayetano said.
"A copy of the summons was likewise furnished to the prosecution panel on the same date," he added.
On Monday, the Senate convened as an impeachment court for the trial of Duterte over allegations of culpable violation of the 1987 Constitution, graft and corruption, and betrayal of public trust.
Under Resolution No. 39 or the Rules of Procedure on Impeachment Trial, Duterte was given a non-extendible period of ten calendar days from receipt to file her pleadings on the impeachment case, and will be ordered to appear before the Senate "upon notice."
The prosecution, on the other hand, may file a reply within a non-extendible period of five calendar days from receipt of the answer.
"Counting ten calendar days from May 20, 2026,the last day would ordinarily fall on a Saturday, May 30, 2026. However, since the last day falls on a Saturday, the period shall not run until the next working day. Accordingly, the deadline for the respondent to file her answer is on Monday, June 1, 2026," Cayetano said.
After the suspension of the session, the senators held an all-member caucus to discuss the impeachment calendar. — RSJ, GMA News