PNP to secure missing sabungeros' kin amid alleged pressure from Atong Ang camp
The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Sunday said it is prepared to provide security to the families of missing cockfight enthusiasts following reports of alleged pressure from the camp of businessman Charlie 'Atong' Ang, who has been tagged as the alleged mastermind in their abduction.
“The Philippine National Police, under the leadership of Police General Jose Melencio C. Nartatez Jr., has expressed readiness to provide security to the families of the ‘missing sabungeros’ amid reports of alleged pressure and interference linked to the ongoing investigation,” the PNP said in a statement.
Nartatez Jr. said any alleged intimidation or bribery related to the case would be investigated.
“Police assistance does not end with case build-up and the filing of charges. It expands to ensuring that no mockery of the justice system happens during the legal process,” he said.
Relatives of the missing cockfight enthusiasts earlier alleged that Caroline Cruz, Ang’s lawyer and executive director of the Pitmaster Foundation, attempted to weaken their case by persuading them to skip hearings in exchange for money.
The relatives also denied Cruz’s earlier claim that they had initiated the meeting with her.
In an earlier statement, Cruz said that relatives of the missing sabungeros approached her and visited her office in Mandaluyong on April 20, where their first meeting took place.
“I was surprised by their visit, but I welcomed them. It was a cordial meeting, if I am to describe it,” Cruz said, adding that the group, allegedly led by a victim’s relative, sought her help in uncovering the truth behind the case.
She denied arranging the meeting or asking anyone to organize it on her behalf and rejected allegations that she tried to persuade relatives to recant or avoid hearings.
“To ask for their recantation is not something that a sensible lawyer would even ask at this point. They are not even witnesses to the case, to begin with,” Cruz said.
Cruz also denied claims that she arranged trips for relatives to casinos or a resort in Zambales, but acknowledged giving them financial assistance, which she said came with no conditions.
“I did not ask for anything in return for the financial support that I gave them. They signed nothing that would, in any way, be useful in the case,” she said.
Nartatez confirmed that investigators are looking into reports of a possible meeting involving relatives of the missing sabungeros and dismissed police officers previously linked to the case.
The PNP urged relatives of the missing sabungeros to report any alleged harassment or intimidation immediately.
“The PNP urges the relatives of missing sabungeros to immediately report if they experience any form of harassment from other parties. Prayoridad natin ang kaligtasan nila at ang pagkakamit nila ng hustisya,” Nartatez said.—MCG, GMA News