Amid Guteza's recantation, Ombudsman says it still has 28 witnesses vs Romualdez
Despite the recantation of Orly Guteza, one of the ex-soldiers who earlier said they delivered cash in suitcases to Martin Romualdez, the Office of the Ombudsman said Thursday that it still has 28 witnesses who have material information on the alleged links of the former Speaker to the flood control mess.
“Hindi bago ang recantation sa mga high-profile case. Classic pressure tactic ito. Hindi umiikot ang buong imbestigasyon sa iisa o kahit sa iilang witnesses,” the Ombudsman said.
(Recantations are nothing new in high-profile cases. It is a classic pressure tactic. The entire investigation does not hinge on just one or even a few witnesses.)
“Sa kabila nito, ipinapaalam ng Office of the Ombudsman na mayroon itong 28 testigo na nakahandang magbigay ng direkta at materyal na kaalaman sa mga transaksyong sinisiyasat sa kaso ni dating Speaker Martin Romualdez. Nasa ilalim na sila ng legal process sa ngayon,” the Ombudsman added.
(Despite this, the Office of the Ombudsman announces that it has 28 witnesses ready to provide direct and material knowledge regarding the transactions under investigation in the case of former Speaker Martin Romualdez. They are currently undergoing legal processes.)
Recantation
According to Maki Pulido's exclusive report on "24 Oras" on Thursday, Guteza executed a new affidavit, claiming that Sen. Rodante Marcoleta and former House lawmaker Mike Defensor had tapped him to make up accusations against the Leyte congressman in exchange for money and scholarships for his children.
GMA News is still attempting to get Defensor's and Marcoleta’s side.
Romualdez also denied Guteza's accusations back in September, calling it "political and the product of coaching."
"Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus —false in one thing, false in everything," he said about the supposed cash deliveries.
Counter Affidavit
Romualdez's camp on Thursday stated that they will file a supplemental counter-affidavit with the Office of the Ombudsman, attaching sworn statements from 25 former drivers and security aides of ex-Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Zaldy Co.
Romualdez's lawyer and spokesperson, Atty. Ade Fajardo said that they will include Guteza's recantation in their submission.
“They have come forward and directly contradicted the earlier accounts of the 18 Maleta Boys presented by Atty. Baligod,” said Fajardo.
"Ayon sa kanila, walang naganap na anumang delivery ng pera sa sinumang pulitiko o opisyal ng gobyerno, kabilang na si Rep. Romualdez. Hinikayat lamang silang sumali sa isang grupo ng mga testigo kapalit ng pera, at may mga affidavit nang inihanda para sa kanila,” he added.
(According to them, no delivery of money took place involving any politician or government official, including Rep. Romualdez. They were merely urged to join a group of witnesses in exchange for money, and affidavits had already been prepared for them.)
Fajardo also said Guteza’s latest statement described how he was allegedly pressured to accept and sign accusations connecting Romualdez to the case.
"Si Orly Guteza naman, naglabas rin ng pahayag at idinetalye kung paanong ang mga akusasyon ay ipinilit sa kanya para tanggapin at pirmahan, bilang missing link na siya raw mag-uugnay daw kay Rep. Romualdez sa kaso," Fajardo said.
(Orly Guteza also issued a statement detailing how he was pressured to accept and sign the accusations, portraying him as the "missing link" who would supposedly connect Rep. Romualdez to the case.)
“Sa dami ng magkakasalungat na kwento, napaka klaro na walang ebidensya laban kay Rep. Romualdez,” he added.
(Given the multitude of conflicting stories, it is very clear that there is no evidence against Rep. Romualdez.) —VAL, GMA News