ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Gov’t troops rescue Vietnamese from Abu Sayyaf bandits in Basilan


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.

Government troops in Basilan rescue a Vietnamese kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf Group in November last year off Sibago Island. Vietnamese Hoang Vo escaped from his captors during air raids on bandits' encampment in Sumisip town last Friday. --Public Affairs NCO 4TH Special Forces Battalion


Security forces have rescued a Vietnamese kidnap victim during a combat operation against bandit Abu Sayyaf Group in the province of Basilan on Friday, a military official said Sunday.

Corporal Odilon Dalman Espina Jr, spokesman for the  4TH Special Forces Battalion, said that combined elements of Joint Task Force-Basilan (JTF-B) under Col. Juvymax R Uy rescued Hoang Vo, a Vietnamese from Nghe An, during a combat operation in Sumisip town.

Troops from the 64TH Infantry Battalion, under LTC Julius A Cabarloc Jr, recovered the victim in Sitio Pump, Brgy. Mahatalang.

Vo managed to escape from his abductors at the height of surgical airstrikes and artillery fires from government troops, targeting an Abu Sayyaf Group encampment under Sub Leader Firuji Indama.

Vo, together with other victims,  was abducted by Abu Sayyaf bandits in the southeast sea of Sibago Island, Basilan in November last year.

He suffered minor injuries during his escape and was given immediate medical attention and debriefing.

ARMM Regional Governor Mujiv S Hataman flew to the 64IB headquarters in Brgy. Tumahubong to congratulate the troops and extend support for the kidnap victim.

Hataman also thanked the soldiers for their unrelenting effort to rid the province of the bandits, Espina said.

As of posting time, ground troops from the 4th Special Forces Battalion, 9th Scout Ranger Company, and 12 DRC are conducting pursuit operations against the bandits. —Peewee Bacuño/LBG, GMA News