Ombudsman orders dismissal of CDO mayor Oscar Moreno
Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales has ordered the dismissal of Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno in connection with the lease of heavy equipment he entered from 2009 to 2010 during his term as Misamis Oriental governor.
The dismissal order came after Moreno was found guilty of grave misconduct, serious dishonesty and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service.
The Ombudsman also ordered former acting provincial budget officer Elmer Wabe, former provincial administrator Patrick Gabutina, and former assistant provincial engineer Rolando to pay a fine equivalent to their one year's salary.
Aside from the dismissal order, the respondents were meted with the accessory penalties of perpetual disqualification from holding public office, cancellation of eligibility, forfeiture of retirement benefits, and bar from the civil service examinations.
The Ombudsman directed the Department of Interior and Local Government to implement the dismissal order on December 12, 2017.
Graft investigators found that the provincial government made several lease agreements with Equiprent Corporation for the use of heavy equipment worth P2.96 million.
However, the Commission on Audit said the "rental of heavy equipment and the disbursement for payments were irregular due to deficiencies such as lack of public bidding and the necessary documents as required under (the Government Procurement Reform Act).”
“The mode of procurement indicated in all the purchase orders for each payment was through public bidding, but no proof was shown that a public bidding was conducted. Also, at the time of the alleged bidding, Equiprent was not registered with the PhilGEPS as required under R.A. No. 9184, and in awarding the contract to Equiprent, the required documents were not submitted,” COA said.
The irregularities forced COA to issue a notice of disallowance on November 10, 2014.
The Ombudsman said the respondents clearly showed their deliberate intent to violate procurement rules and give a bad image to public servants.
“The said acts show a clear intent to violate the law on procurement and a flagrant disregard of established rule, and definitely gave a bad image to public service, tantamount to grave misconduct, serious dishonesty and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service,” the Ombudsman said in its decision.
The Ombudsman had earlier ordered the dismissal of Moreno in June and August last year over another anomalous lease agreements. Moreno secured a temporary restraining order on both decisions.
He is also facing a graft case at the Sandiganbayan for allegedly entering a building lease contract for Cagayan de Oro City's Sports Development Program for Professional and Amateur Boxing. — BM, GMA News