ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Rosita already felt in some Luzon areas


 

Various Luzon areas were already experiencing Typhoon Rosita on Tuesday morning, after the typhoon made landfall in Isabela province.

In Catanduanes, although there is no storm signal raised yet, some coastal areas were already flooded. Gale warning signal was also raised, and tourists were advised to stay away from coastal areas.

In Baler, Aurora, there was already waist-deep flood in several areas. A power outage was also reported.

 

In Benguet and Abra, residents have evacuated from landslide-prone areas. Strong winds, meanwhile, were felt in Baguio City.

In Ilocos Norte, meanwhile, farmers rushed to harvest their crops before Typhoon Rosita hit their area, while some residents were seen tying their roofs to prevent them from being blown away by strong winds.

Huge waves are tossing to the coastal areas In San Fernando, La Union, due to strong winds.

Classes are suspended in Zambales City, particularly in Candelaria, Masinloc, Palauig. A pre-emptive evacuation is imposed in Sta. Cruz.

Power went out in the whole province of Cagayan, Governor Manuel Mamba said on Dobol B sa News TV.

The government will also implement preemptive evacuation as Cagayan River may overflow due to the expected onslaught of Typhoon Rosita, he said.

Most local government units of the provinces said that they are well-prepared for the Typhoon Rosita.

There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties. So far, the typhoon's strong winds and rains bent trees and scattered loose debris across roads.

Roofs were seen flying and scattered on the ground while trees swayed as strong winds blew in Cagayan.

One establishment in Santiago City, Isabela was almost roofless as winds threatened to scrap the whole roof. Also, several debris were also seen flying around the city, according to a report by Raffy Tima on GMA News' Unang Balita.

Due to the strong winds, an alarm system of a bank was triggered to ring.

Residents along coastal areas in Ilocos Norte carried and moved their boats to higher places last Saturday night as preparation for the possible huge waves brought by Typhoon Rosita, according to a report on GMA News' Unang Balita by Cesar Apolinario.

Edgar Posadas, spokesman for the Office of Civil Defense, said uniformed personnel were on standby to help in any rescue missions.

As of 8 a.m. Tuesday, 10 areas were still under Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal (TCWS) No. 3 as Typhoon Rosita headed towards Ifugao province.

PAGASA said Rosita would traverse the provinces of Isabela, Ifugao, Benguet and La Union.

The following provinces have remained under TCWS No. 3: Isabela, Quirino, Northern Aurora, Nueva Vizcaya, Ifugao, Benguet, La Union, Ilocos Sur, Mountain Province and Pangasinan.

Rosita (international name: Yutu), the sixth typhoon to hit the Philippines in 2018, comes just six weeks after Typhoon Ompong (international name: Mangkhut) dumped massive rains on Luzon, triggering landslides that killed more than 70 people.

Typhoon Yutu caused devastation in Saipan and Tinian, two islands of the Northern Marianas, prior to making landfall in Isabela on Tuesday morning. A woman was killed and more than 130 were injured in Northern Marianas. —with Reuters/Joviland Rita/KBK/KG, GMA News

Tags: rosita, yutu