Minor cracks on buildings were reported after the magnitude 5.3 earthquake in Camarines Norte on Wednesday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Thursday.
At a televised public briefing, NDRRMC spokesperson Assistant Secretary Raffy Alejandro said the affected areas were Labo, Capalonga, Mercedes, Paracale, Sta. Ana, and Vinzons.
“So far ang mga nakuha nating mga report ay cracks lang po sa ibang mga buildings. Mga minor cracks sa Labo, Capalonga, Mercedes, Paracale, Sta. Ana, at saka sa Vinzons, all minor cracks,” he said.
(So far the reports that we received are cracks on buildings. Minor cracks were reported in Labo, Capalonga, Mercedes, Paracale, Sta. Ana, and Vinzons, all minor cracks.)
Residents in some barangays in Mercedes panicked when the earthquake hit, Alejandro said. In Vinzons, some patients also panicked over small cracks seen on the buildings of small hospitals, he added.
No fatalities, major damage, as well as water, power, and communication interruptions have been reported so far due to the earthquake, according to Alejandro.
The assessment of local government units (LGUs) on the damage in their respective areas are still ongoing, Alejandro said.
At 1:05 p.m. on Wednesday, a magnitude 5.3 quake struck Tinaga Island, Camarines Norte, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS).
The epicenter of the tectonic earthquake was 19 kilometers N 62° E of Tinaga Island (Vinzons).
Among the instrumental intensities reported were:
- Intensity V - Mercedes, Jose Panganiban, Camarines Norte
- Intensity IV - Daet, Camarines Norte; Guinayangan, Polillo, Quezon
- Intensity III - Ragay, Pili, Iriga City, Camarines Sur; Mauban, Lopez, Mulanay, Alabat, Gumaca, Quezon
- Intensity II - Tabaco, Albay; Dingalan, Aurora; Batangas City, Batangas; Calumpit, Plaridel, Pulilan, Marilao, San Ildefonso, Bulacan; Sagnay, Camarines Sur; Carmona, Cavite; Marikina City, Pasig City, Metro Manila; Gapan City, Nueva Ecija; Pinamalayan, Oriental Mindoro; Guagua, Pampanga; Infanta, Pangasinan; Dolores, Infanta, Calauag, Quezon; Taytay, Tanay, Rizal
- Intensity I - Legazpi City, Albay; Bulakan, Santa Maria, Guiguinto, Obando, Malolos City, Pandi, Dona Remedios Trinidad, Bulacan; Tagaytay City, Ternate, Cavite; Candon, Ilocos Sur; Calamba, Los Banos, Laguna; Malabon City, Pasay, Quezon City, Muntinlupa City, San Juan City, Metro Manila; Mapanas, Northern Samar; San Antonio, Gabaldon, Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija; Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro; Tayabas, Lucena City, Quezon; Angono, Morong, Antipolo, Cainta, Rizal.
— RSJ, GMA Integrated News