Marcos inks law making Carmona a component city of Cavite
President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. has signed into law a measure converting the municipality of Carmona into a component city of the province of Cavite.
Republic Act No. 119381 or "An Act Converting the Municipality of Carmona in the Province of Cavite into a component city to be known as the City of Carmona" was signed by the chief executive on February 23, 2023.
This will mandate holding a plebiscite within 60 days from the approval of the law. Meanwhile, unless otherwise provided by the law, the City of Carmona shall continue to be part of the 5th legislative district of the Cavite province.
The city shall have the following corporate powers:
- To have continuous succession in its corporate name;
- To sue and be sued;
- To have and use a corporate seal;
- To acquire, hold, and convey real or personal property;
- To enter into contract agreement; and
- To exercise such other powers, prerogatives, or authorities granted to corporations, subject to the limitations provided under the Local Government Code of 1991.
The new law stated that the "present elective officials of the Municipality of Carmona shall continue to exercise their powers and functions until such time that a new election is held and the duly-elected officials shall have already qualified and assumed their offices.”
“Appointive officials and employees of the Municipality of Carmona shall, likewise, continue exercising their functions and duties and they shall automatically be absorbed by the City Government of the City of Carmona,” it added.—AOL, GMA Integrated News