The Negros Oriental Provincial Police Office on Friday announced the implementation of gun ban in the province after the killing of Governor Roel Degamo.
“All permit to carry firearm outside residence (PTCFOR) are hereby suspended in Negros Oriental until further notice,” it said in a Facebook post.
“Only the members of the PNP, AFP, and other law enforcement agencies who are performing official duties and in agency-prescribed uniforms will be allowed to carry firearms,” it added.
Degamo and five others were killed while 13 others were injured in the March 4 attack conducted while the governor was distributing aid to his constituents at his residence in Pamplona town. The death toll increased to nine on Sunday.
Murder and frustrated murder charges have been filed against four suspects identified as Joric Garido Labrador, Joven Calibjo Javier, Benjie Rodriguez, Osmundo Rojas Rivero, and 12 John Does before the Tanjay City Regional Trial Court.
Charges of illegal possession of firearms, ammunition, and explosives were also filed against three individuals before the Bayawan City Regional Trial Court.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) is looking into more than 10 reports of killings in Negros Oriental, Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla said Friday.
Remulla, who visited the wake of Degamo on Wednesday, previously said officials were seeing a “pattern of impunity” in the province.
On Friday, Defense Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. said said the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) will deploy more military personnel in Negros Island to address lawless violence and restore peace following the killing of Degamo.—LDF, GMA Integrated News