A motorcycle rider went into a coma after he hit a pole in San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan while he was cruising on Quirino Highway.
According to Jun Veneracion's report on "24 Oras," the victim's cellphone is believed to have exploded causing him to lose control of his motorcycle.
Jhonelle Paches was found unconscious by a traffic enforcer, Sharwen Ching-Tai on Sunday morning. The burnt cellphone was found on his side.
“Pumasok sa isip ko nag short yung phone niya nagkaroon ng paso ang dito niya, dahil sa cellphone na napaso nawalan ng control yung driver,” Ching-tai said.
This was confirmed by the victim's friends, who witnessed and narrated the scene to his family.
“On the scene po nakita nila wala ng malay ang kapatid ko at ‘yung cellphone na pumutok nakadikit pa po sa tiyan niya,” the victim's sister said.
The victim crashed into a pole on an uphill area of the Quirino Highway. His motorcycle was destroyed, and his helmet was damaged.
“Comatose pa rin po talaga sya hanggang ngayon, meron po siyang hematoma sa utak. ‘Yung sunog po niya meron siyang third degree burn dahil sa pagputok ng cellphone,” Jhonalie added.
An electrical engineer said the possible cause of the explosion was sweat getting into the cellphone.
“Nabasa yung battery pumasok yung pawis doon sa battery so once na pumasok yung positive negative didikit yun nagkaroon ng explosion,” electrical engineer Norman Oblanca said.
He said, unlike the rain, sweat is more dangerous, especially when absorbed by anything with electricity.
"Lahat ng maalat like pawis yan malakas mag absorb ng current ‘yan,” Oblanca added.
Experts advised the public to use a belt bag or anything to put their cell phones in when traveling.
“Huwag nating ilagay sa katawan natin lalo na pag nagmotor ka at sa kasikatan ng araw maaring maulit ito,” said Bobby Esquivel, Director, City Traffic Management and Sidewalk Clearing Operations. —Sherylin Untalan/NB, GMA Integrated News