Basilan ferry sinking death toll now 58; 21 still missing — PCG
The fatalities of the ill-fated M/V Trisha Kerstin 3 that sank off Basilan increased to 58 after one more cadaver was recovered on Monday, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said.
In an update, the PCG said technical divers recovered the body during underwater operations.
“With this development, the total number of fatalities has increased to 58, with 293 survivors and 21 individuals remain missing,” the PCG said.
The figures on the casualties are consolidated through the joint validation efforts of the Philippine National Police-Scene of the Crime Operatives (PNP-SOCO), City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO), Coast Guard District Southwestern Mindanao (CGDSWM), and the victims' families.
These agencies and groups are conducting daily coordination in connection with the operations, according to the PCG.
M/V Trisha Kerstin 3 on the evening of January 25 departed from Port of Zamboanga City for Jolo, Sulu but it sank in Basilan waters on the early morning of January 26.
The Department of Transportation (DOTr) grounded the entire fleet of Aleson Shipping Lines as authorities conducted a maritime safety and inspection audit following the incident.
Last week, the DOTr said overloading was one of the potential causes of the sinking of M/V Trisha Kerstin 3.
Still hopeful
The PCGadded that it remains optimistic that more survivors will be found as search and rescue operations continue.
“Hindi pa rin nawawalan ng pag-asa ang Philippine Coast Guard. We have previous stories na even weeks after, nakaka-recover pa rin, nakakahanap pa rin ng mga buhay na missing individual na atin pong hinahanap…Positibo pa rin ang Philippine Coast Guard,” said PCG spokesperson Captain Noemie Cayabyab on Bagong Pilipinas Ngayon.
(The Philippine Coast Guard still hasn't lost hope. We have previous stories where even weeks later, we are still able to recover and find missing individuals alive... The Philippine Coast Guard remains positive.)
The PCG cited the recent rescue of three fishermen in the waters of Occidental Mindoro after they were previously reportedly missing.
“It is one of the classic example po na if we will sustain our search and rescue operations meron pong posibilidad na makita pa po ang ating mga hinahanap,” said Cayabyab.
(It is one of the classic examples where, if we sustain our search and rescue operations, there is still a possibility that we will find those we are looking for.) — with Vince Angelo Ferreras/RF/BM, GMA Integrated News