ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Some Cagayan de Oro City residents back passage of anti-dynasty bill


Some Cagayan de Oro City residents back passage of anti-dynasty bill

Some Cagayan de Oro City residents on Friday backed the passage of a proposed measure prohibiting political dynasties.

At the third and final public consultation on the proposed Anti-Dynasty bill, a lawyer expressed support for the measure and said the ban should cover relatives up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and affinity.

"Why 4th civil degree? To be consistent and in harmony with the anti-nepotism law," said lawyer Ed Cuaresma.

Cuaresma, former president of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP)-Misamis Oriental chapter, said this would likewise "prevent the concentration of power and resources in one family."

The House Committee is conducting public consultations in Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao regarding proposed measures banning political dynasties. The previous consultations were held in Cavite and Cebu City.

Among those who attended the consulation are authors of the proposed anti-dynasty measures are Cagayan de Oro 1st District Rep. Lordan Suan, Cebu City 1st District Rep. Rachel del Mar, Gabriela Women's Party Rep. Sarah Elago, and Bukidnon Rep. Jonathan Keith Flores.

Apart from Cuaresma, seven other constituents likewise aired their opinions and expressed support on the proposed bills during the consultation.

Meanwhile, a student asked lawmakers in Cagayan de Oro whether the anti-dynasty measure would disallow qualified bets to run for posts due to their familial ties.

Lanao del Sur Rep. Zia Alonto Adiong, chairperson of the House panel, cited the recommendation of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to cancel the nomination of violators instead of disqualifying them.

Adiong also said that party-lists nominate and issue Certificate of Nomination and Acceptance (CONAs) for candidates in certain posts and not their families.

"No family in this country has the authority to issue a nomination for a candidate running a public office," said Adiong.

"The Comelec says it's better you cancel the nomination but we need to bring in other political parties because they have their own by-laws and Constitution," he added.

To recall, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. urged Congress to prioritize the passage of the Anti-Dynasty Bill in December last year.

Several measures have been filed in both the House of Representatives and the Senate seeking to implement the 1987 Constitution’s provision that prohibits political dynasties.

In the Senate, senators likewise wrapped up its series of public consultative meetings on the measure which seeks to prohibit political dynasties. — BAP, GMA Integrated News