Man wanted for rape arrested after 13 years while applying for NBI clearance
A man wanted for rape was arrested after more than a decade in hiding when he applied for an NBI clearance, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said Wednesday.
The arrest occurred after a routine verification process flagged a possible match in the agency’s database during the suspect’s application.
According to the NBI, further checks confirmed the individual had an existing warrant of arrest issued by a regional trial court in Rizal province.
“The details matched an existing warrant of arrest—including the name, criminal case number, offense, and address,” the agency said.
Authorities said the warrant, issued by a court in the town of Morong, carried a “wanted” remark and remained active.
When confronted, the suspect admitted he was aware of the case but believed it had already been settled.
Investigators later confirmed the warrant is still valid and non-bailable.
The NBI said the suspect was evading arrest for 13 years before he was apprehended.
“Labing tatlong taon na nagtatago ito,” authorities said.
(He had been hiding for 13 years.)
The agency said the arrest highlights how its updated records and verification systems help identify individuals with pending cases when they apply for clearances.
Authorities noted that coordination with courts and internal records divisions allows them to confirm warrants and immediately implement arrests when necessary. —Sherylin Untalan/RF, GMA News