PhilHealth-accredited healthcare provider WellMed Dialysis Center on Thursday denied two former employees' allegation that it has been claiming deceased patients' benefits.
"WellMed and its owners did not and would not, in any way, consent to, or participate in any 'ghost dialysis' or fraudulent scheme as described by Mr. Roberto," a statement issued by WellMed's legal team at Gargantiel Ilagan & Atanante read.
The former employees, Edwin Roberto and Liezel Santos, sought legal assistance from former presidential spokesperson Harry Roque about a year after they notified PhilHealth.
"Lumapit na po kami sa PhilHealth way back last year. Una po kaming nakipag-meeting sa kanila nung July then bumalik po kami nung August para ibigay po 'yung mga pangalan ng pasyente sa kanilang legal team," Roberto said in an interview on Super Radyo dzBB.
WellMed, however, said that Roberto and Santos—its former assistant manager and former PhilHealth officer and cashier, respectively—"connived with each other" to commit the fraudulent scheme themselves, then later attributed the illegal act to the center.
PhilHealth earlier confirmed that it monitored fraudulent acts involving WellMed. Their findings showed that 28 medical cases that have been filed involved dead patients. while 12 others are under investigation.
In its statement, the law firm said that its client 'has filed with PhilHealth its Answer to the various complaints, and will continue to give its full cooperation in PhilHealth's investigation in order that the true perpetrators of the fraudulent scheme would be held accountable."
The statement also said that the dialysis center will appropriate criminal charges against Roberto and Santos. — BM, GMA News