Navotas City Mayor Toby Tiangco on Thursday said over 20,000 residents have already been tested for COVID-19 since the quarantine was enforced in March.
At a Palace briefing, Tiangco said the number was equivalent to 9.36% of the population of the city.
"Because of the contact tracing, because of the number of tests na tinulong sa atin ng national government, ang na-test na po sa Navotas ay 25,004 out of a total residents of 267,000 so nakakatest na po tayo ng 9.36% of the total population," Tiangco said.
Tiangco also reiterated that the percentage of COVID-19 infections in the city has decreased after a two-week lockdown was implemented. It is now at 14%, which was lower compared to the previous 22 to 23% positivity rate.
"'Yan po ay dahil sa number of tests dahil ang hinahanap kung sino-sino 'yung mga positive at because of isolation," Tiangco said.
The mayor placed Navotas City under 14-day lockdown from July 16 to 29 to prevent residents from leaving their homes for non-essential reasons.
So far, Navotas City has 3,953 COVID-19 cases in which 903 are active cases.
The number of recoveries is 2,935 while the number of fatalities is 115. — RSJ, GMA News