advertisement
Filtered By: News
News

VP Binay still happy with his numbers, spokesman says


Despite yet another decline in his satisfaction ratings, Vice President Jejomar Binay is happy that he still enjoys the trust of a great majority of the Filipino people amid the allegations hurled against him, his spokesman said Monday.

“The numbers are surprising that despite the toxic atmosphere brought about by the kangaroo court of the Senate, he still outranks the entire playing field,” Cavite Governor Jonvic Remulla, Binay’s spokesperson for political affairs, said in a text message to GMA News Online.  
 
“It really goes to show that it’s hard to put a good man down,” he added.
 
In a press statement, Remulla said Binay is thankful that 70 percent of Filipinos are satisfied with his performance.
 
He said the survey results “makes (Binay) more committed to bring the issues directly to the people and perform his duties.”
 
Earlier in the day, results released by Social Weather Stations from a survey conducted September 26 to 29 showed Binay’s satisfaction rating falling to its lowest since November 2010

Binay had a net rating of +52 (70 percent satisfied, 17 percent dissatisfied), down 15 points from +67 (78 percent satisfied, 11 percent dissatisfied) in the second quarter.
 
While the Vice President's rating was within the "very good" range, this was lower than the previous record low of "very good" +57 recorded in November 2010.

Pulse Asia survey

 
The Vice President's approval rating was at 66 percent for the third quarter of 2014, down from 81 percent in the second quarter.
 

Binay and his son, Makati Mayor Junjun Binay, as well as several other Makati officials are facing plunder and graft complaints before the Office of the Ombudsman over the alleged overpricing in the construction of the Makati City Hall Building II.

The Senate blue ribbon subcommittee is also conducting its own hearing on the matter. 
 
During the Senate panel's hearings, Binay has been accused by former Makati officials of rigging the bidding process and receiving a 13 percent kickback from every large contract of the Makati City government during his term as mayor. 
 
Recently, he was accused of owning a 350-hectare property in Rosario, Batangas.

Binay has denied the allegations against him and his family, but has repeatedly refused to accept invitations from the Senate subcommittee to attend its proceedings. — Amita Legaspi/RSJ, GMA News
LOADING CONTENT