Malacañang on Tuesday said "intelligence information" on the supposed plans to oust President Rodrigo Duterte from office are being investigated, in accordance with the suggestion of some Cabinet members, a Palace official said.
"We take any destabilization move seriously whether it's a rumor or A1 information. It's against the law and it's inciting to rebellion. This has happened in the past," Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said at a press briefing.
Andanar has tagged a group of Filipino-Americans behind the supposed plot, citing information from an unnamed Cabinet official who was in New York recently. He said the group wants Duterte out of Malacañang by January 2017.
He said they have the names of the Filipino-Americans but refused to reveal them in public.
"I have received information from credible sources from the United States. And yeah, we are aware of this. We have names, I received names. I'm not going to mention this. Tayo din naman [ay] naging journalist, baka ma-libel," he said.
Andanar said he does not know if the group already has funds for its plan
The Palace official, however, only shrugged when asked if a foreign government is involved in the supposed plot, but maintained that such attempt will not succeed.
"That's a very speculative question. But whatever destabilization plans they would do against the Duterte government, these will not succeed," he said.
He advised the group to "think twice" before pushing through with its plan.
"Whatever they're planning, just think twice. It's not lawful to bring down a government and rest assured we'll protect the President," he said.
Duterte, under fire for the spate of extrajudicial killings linked to his anti-crime drive and tirades against international figures including US President Barack Obama, had earlier tagged the Liberal Party in supposed plans to impeach him.