President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday promised that he would pursue cases against policemen involved in unlawful killings.
Duterte made the remark at the 60th anniversary celebration of the Social Security System. He said he was late because he met with the parents of slain 19-year-old Carl Angelo Arnaiz.
"I'm a bit late because the parents of Arnaiz, the latest victim of I don't know who — still under investigation. I ordered the Secretary of Justice to take over the investigation of the case," he said.
Duterte said he did not order his troops to kill the young and the old and even the enemies mercilessly.
"Ang sinabi ko naman we will protect soldiers and policemen, no doubt about it, but there should always be the element of performance of duty and you do not kill defenseless persons," he said.
"I'm sorry but I will pursue the case against policemen and need be, they will go to jail. Wala ako inutos patayin mo bata o matanda and even the enemies on bended knees. It's not the norm or rule of democracy. I would never ever ever condone or allow it," he added.
Arnaiz was found dead in a funeral parlor after he was tagged as missing for 10 days. Caloocan City police claimed he robbed a taxi driver and fired at responding policemen.
His companion, 14-year-old Reynaldo de Guzman, was found dead with 30 stab wounds beside a creek in Nueva Ecija on Wednesday.
Their cases were brought to the public's attention after the police were also accused of killing a defenseless 17-year-old Kian Loyd delos Santos in Caloocan City in a drug operation.
Duterte since then told his police that he would only defend them if their actions were done in the performance of duty. — RSJ/KVD, GMA News