advertisement
Filtered By: News
News

Trillanes willing to go to jail, resign if claims vs. Duterte proven false


Senator Antonio Trillanes IV on Sunday said he will resign if his allegation that President Rodrigo Duterte has P2 billion in unexplained wealth is proven false.

Aside from leaving his seat in the Senate, Trillanes said in a radio dzBB interview that he would also be willing to be jailed.

"Napakasimple eh. Puwede n'yo akong ipahiya tapos magre-resign pa ako as senador tapos papasok pa ako sa kulungan kung gusto nila, kung mali ang aking alegasyon," Trillanes said.

The senator issued the statement when asked during the interview to react on Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio's remarks that he and other members of civil society group Tindig Pilipinas -- Senators Francis Pangilinan and Risa Hontiveros -- are ungrateful and opportunists.

"Eh sa akin ako no, babalik na lang ako sa issue, kung wala kayong tinatago, bakit ayaw niyong pumirma ng waiver," Trillanes said.

He said signing a bank secrecy waive is the only way that President Rodrigo Duterte can disprove his allegations.

Trillanes had claimed that Duterte is keeping bank accounts with at least P2 billion in deposits.

Tindig Pilipinas on Saturday launched a signature campaign urging Duterte to sign a bank secrecy waiver.

Duterte had said that his savings will not exceed P40 million.

In a separate radio dzBB interview, Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo clarified that Duterte has signed a bank secrecy waiver as early as May 2016.

Trillanes initially came out with his allegation on Duterte's supposed secret bank accounts during the election period last year.

Late September, the Office of the Ombudsman announced that is has started an investigation into the wealth of Duterte and his family based on Trillanes' complaint. —Marlly Rome Bondoc/ALG, GMA News

LOADING CONTENT