President Rodrigo Duterte has chosen Western Mindanao Command chief Lieutenant General Carlito Galvez as the next chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said Thursday.
A battle-seasoned general, Galvez will replace AFP chief General Rey Leonardo Guerrero, whose term had been extended by Duterte last December.
Guerrero, meanwhile, is expected to lead the Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) after his retirement.
Roque said Galvez and National Capital Region Police Office Director Oscar Albayalde will take their oaths as AFP chief and PNP chief, respectively, on April 18.
Galvez, who played a key role during the five-month siege of Marawi City, said his "experience as a peacemaker could be an advantage" for his new role.
"I would like to thank the President for the trust and confidence. I would like to make this opportunity that I will do my best with honor, integrity, and loyalty that I will serve the President...the best way I can," Galvez said in a phone interview with reporters.
Galvez is a member of Philippine Military Academy Class of 1985. — with Marlly Rome Bondoc/MDM/BM, GMA News