Filtered By: News

Working with Nene Pimentel was an honor —ConCom

Members of the Consultative Committee (ConCom) tasked to propose changes to the 1987 Constitution expressed pride to have worked with former Senate President Aquilino "Nene" Pimentel Jr., who died of lymphoma and pneumonia on Sunday morning.

In a statement, ConCom spokesperson Ding Generson said the committee is deeply saddened by the passing of Pimentel, whom they describe as a "stalwart of federalism."

"Senator Pimentel was not just a public servant. He was, above all, a steadfast advocate of true reforms and real change, a defender of the rights of all, a man of humility, honesty and integrity, a constitutionalist, and a great Filipino and patriot," Generoso said.

"We, the members and staff of the Concom, are honored and privileged to have worked with him in the service of the nation. We join his family and all Filipinos in mourning his passage and praying for the peace of his soul in the arms of the Creator," he added.

Apart from serving as vice chairman of the ConCom, Pimental was also a delegate to the 1971 Constitutional Convention, which was called to change the 1935 Constitution.

Generoso said it was no coincidence that Pimentel began his career in public service being part of this constitutional convention and capped it with his participation in the ConCom.

"The Filipino nation will forever be grateful to Senator Pimentel for his unselfish service and great sacrifice. He will surely be missed, but his legacy will live on and continue to inspire Filipinos in seeking and aspiring for a better nation for themselves and their children," he said.

"Rest assured that we shall not tire in carrying on your dream of a federal Philippines, and carrying it through. You have left us with a great burden, but we will soldier on — with your guidance and inspiration," he added.

Pimentel died at 5 a.m. on Sunday after battling lymphoma and pneumonia, according to his daughter Commission on Human Rights Commissioner Gwendolyn "Gwen" Pimentel-Gana.

His death came a week after his family asked for prayers for his complete recovery since he has fallen "very ill" and confined in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of an undisclosed hospital. —Erwin Colcol/LBG, GMA News