The National Bureau of Investigation is yet to determine the group behind the series of bombings in Mindanao last December 22, 2019 that hurt 22 people, including six government soldiers, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Tuesday.
“The NBI submitted to the DOJ last week a preliminary report on the Cotabato/Maguindanao bombing incidents before Christmas Day, but their initial findings are inconclusive. They are presently conducting further investigation to determine if the perpetrators had any link with known terrorist groups operating in Mindanao.”
“I will give them another month to complete their probe and submit a final report… We expect a progress report in January,” Guevarra added.
Director Dante Gierran, however, assured Guevarra that NBI agents are closely monitoring the Dawlah Islamiyah terrorist group and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) for their possible involvement.
“Law enforcement agencies are painstakingly making citations to identify the perpetrators for the purpose of pressing charges against those responsible,” Guevarra quoted Gierran as saying.
Prior to the NBI probe, the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ Western Mindanao Command said they suspect the Dawlah Islamiyah and the BIFF were behind the blasts.
There have been reports, however, that Dawlah Islamiyah had denied involvement in the bombings as their fighters could not get inside Cotabato City without being intercepted at checkpoints.
Of the 22 injured during the December 22 bombings, six belonged to the 62nd Reconnaissance Company of the Army’s 6th Infantry Division. —LBG, GMA News