The number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infections in the Philippines rose to 52 on Thursday.
The Department of Health (DOH) confirmed three new cases on Thursday, it said in a statement.
The department said it was now conducting information-gathering and contact tracing on the new cases.
Earlier in the day, Mayor Joy Belmonte said the three new infections were from Quezon City.
"I think, ngayon, the list is now 52. Yeah, 'yung list na nahuli kong nakita, although baka nadagdagan ulit. The last time I saw it, it was already 52 and two of the additional 3 are from Quezon City," Belmonte told Super Radyo dzBB.
Data released by the DOH show that Patients 50 to 52 are all Filipinos, while only Patients 50 and 51 have been confirmed to be from Quezon City.
Patient 50 is a 69-year-old female confined at The Medical City.
Patient 51 is a 26-year-old male admitted to the Makati Medical Center.
Patient 52 is a 79-year-old female with a history of travel to the United Kingdom. She is currently at the Asian Hospital and Medical Center.
The DOH is still validating her area of residence.
The number of Filipinos who tested positive for COVID-19 outside the Philippines rose to 99 on Thursday after three new infections involving Filipinos were recorded in Singapore.
Philippines’ 2nd COVID-19 death
Meanwhile, the DOH said the Philippines’ second COVID-19 fatality, the first Filipino to die from the disease, succumbed to severe pneumonia.
Patient 35, who was a 67-year-old female, also had other pre-existing medical conditions, namely hypertension and diabetes mellitus.
Her husband, 72-year-old Patient 34, is still confined at the Manila Doctors Hospital.
Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri earlier confirmed that Patient 34 was a resource person at a Senate hearing last week.
“Our recent mortality has underlying medical conditions, making the patient extremely vulnerable to COVID-19,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said.
He also noted data showing that elderly people and those with underlying medical conditions are more vulnerable to COVID-19.
“We further urge those who are immunocompromised and are with existing health conditions to be more vigilant and avoid crowded areas and mass gatherings,” Duque added.
President Rodrigo Duterte is set to address the nation on Thursday evening amid the continued rise of COVID-19 cases in the Philippines.
Several Philippine officials and senators earlier announced that they will go into self-quarantine after it was confirmed that a resource person who attended a Senate hearing tested positive for the disease.
A number of government agencies have also suspended work to give way to the disinfection of their offices. —LDF/BM, GMA News