Malacañang on Thursday said the government has not discussed the appeals to lift the ban on the sale of alcoholic drinks amid the community quarantine due to the threat of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
At a televised briefing, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said the Inter-Agency Task Force on COVID-19 response only approved the resumption of the manufacturing of alcoholic drinks in areas under modified enhanced community quarantine.
“Wala pong discussion sa IATF pagdating sa liquor ban,” he said.
Last month, Roque said that the Palace left it to the local government units to decide whether to lift the liquor ban.
This was after the Center for Alcohol Research and Development Foundation Inc., a group liquor makers in the country, urged the government to allow the sale of alcoholic drinks “with the same freedom of trade given to other goods and products.”
They also said that consumption can be taken in moderation by “responsible individuals who are accustomed to drinking alcohol.” -MDM, GMA News