President Rodrigo Duterte is back in Davao City to be with his family, Malacañang confirmed on Saturday.
"He is [in Davao City]," Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. replied in a text message sent to reporters in answer to a question posed about the President's whereabouts.
Presidential Security Group commander Colonel Jesus Durante III also confirmed Duterte's trip to Davao.
"He is in Davao after more than two months of not being able to see his family. He will be back for the next IATF [Inter-Agency Task Force] meeting," Durante said in a text message sent to reporters.
Duterte has stayed in Malacañang after he placed Luzon under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in March to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Metro Manila and some other areas moved to modified ECQ on Saturday.
Davao City is under general community quarantine until May 31, based on IATF Resolution No. 37.
In an interview on Dobol B sa News TV, Roque said the president will not stay long in the city.
"Ay, hindi po [siya magtatagal]. Sandali lang po, sandali lang po. Alam ko po ay mayroong meeting na naka-schedule sa Malacañang ng Tuesday," he said.
Though Duterte was allowed to go home, Roque clarified that travel within the country is still limited and Filipinos are still not allowed to go home to their provinces unless essential.
"Kung leisure po, hindi po pu-puwede pa rin, unless tayo po ay merong katungkulan [...] 'yung mga tipong bibisita sa ating mga kamag-anak, pu-puwede po, maiwasan muna po 'yan kasi talagang wala pa pong ganyang pahintulot," he said.
According to Roque, as the Presidente, Duterte also has the responsibility to monitor the situation in Mindanao from his home city.
"Kasi alam ko magiging issue 'to pero wag nating kalimutan na 'yung ginawa naman ng ating presidente sa Davao na hindi pagkikita after 67 days, kundi president din siya," he Roque said.
"Kailangan naman niya malaman kung anong nangyayari sa Mindanao, no? Dahil ang buong Mindanao naman po ay bumabalik na sa normal, no? So hindi mo naman maalis sa katungkulan ng presidente 'yan," he added.
Duterte had been staying in Malacañang after he placed Luzon under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in March to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Metro Manila and some other areas have since been moved to a modified ECQ.
Davao City is under general community quarantine until May 31. —With a report from Virgil Lopez, Joahna Lei Caislao/KG/MDM, GMA News