The Department of Health (DOH) has utilized 86% or P44 billion of its P51 billion budget for the country’s COVID-19 response, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said Wednesday.
Vergeire said the DOH’s was given P51 billion to address the pandemic, of which 89% or P45.72 billion was sourced from the Bayanihan To Heal as One Act.
“As of August 2020, ang utilization natin ay P44.57 billion. 46% of that allocation was used for case management-related commodities, iyong pinambili natin ng personal protective equipment, face masks, iba’t ibang gamot na ginagamit natin for treatment [ng COVID-19],” she said.
“30% of that or P15.47 billion was used for laboratory-related commodities such as purchase of testing kits, logistical supplies na kailangan ng laboratories,” Vergeire added.
Elderly still more vulnerable
Vergeire also said the elderly sector remains the most vulnerable to die from COVID-19 as of August 25, with 28.01% or 851 deaths from those aged 60 to 69.
Likewise, 686 or 22.58% of the COVID-19 deaths were from those aged 70 to 79, followed by those in the 50 to 59 age group at 18.80% or 571.
On the other hand, 10.86% or 330 of those who died from COVID-19 are aged 80 and above.
The Philippines has recorded 197,164 COVID-19 cases so far. Of this number, 132,396 recovered while 3,038 died.
The number of active COVID-19 cases is at 61,730.—AOL, GMA News