Over 23.9 million students have enrolled for the upcoming school year amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, Education Secretary Leonor Briones said on Monday.
In a televised briefing with President Rodrigo Duterte in Malacañang, Briones said this is equivalent to 86.8 percent of the number of enrollees last year and is higher than the Department of Education’s (DepEd) target of 80 percent.
“People were saying, especially the left and the opposition, that nobody will enroll because of COVID and they were calling for academic freeze kuno, but right now as of this morning abot na ng 23.9 million learners ang nag-enroll,” she said.
In the public school sector, 97 percent of students who enrolled last year have already enrolled for the school year 2020 to 2021.
“Ang challenge na remaining are the learners from the private sector kasi 43 percent pa lang ang mga learners from the private sector ang nakabalik,” Briones said.
“But we believe that with the opening of the economy, makakuha na ulit ng trabaho ang mga parents. Ang mga OFWs, may trabaho na sila, kasi karamihan ng OFWs usually send their children to private schools,” she added.
Meanwhile, Briones also renewed the DepEd’s vow to give psychosocial support to teachers and school personnel amid the pandemic.
DepEd earlier moved the opening of classes for the upcoming school year from August 24 to October 5. -- BAP, GMA News