Filtered By: News
News

PNPA lockdown to last until September 30 — director


The director of the Philippine National Police Academy (PNPA) on Tuesday said the institution would be locked down until September 30.

"Sa ngayon, naka-lockdown kami and we deem it necessary to extend the lockdown up to September 30 kasi nga noong September 8, after the swabbing,  ... [the] cadets will undergo quarantine and isolation for 14 days and plus seven days just to make sure everybody is okay..." Police Major General Gilberto Cruz told ANC.

"We added another seven days, that's the recommendation of our health doctor here so September 30 and another swabbing ang gagawin namin for the whole personnel of the PNPA," he added.

This came after 232 PNPA cadets and 11 personnel got infected with COVID-19. They are now under strict monitoring at the quarantine facilities of the academy.

Cruz said there are no severe cases among the cadets who tested positive for COVID-19. He said most of them are asymptomatic.

"So far, they're okay naman and of course there were some slight sickness like colds and cough and mayroon kaming may mild symptoms, but sabi ni doc, normal naman. Especially now that it is raining in the academy, malamig dito," Cruz said.

Cruz assured the families of the infected cadets that the latter are being closely-monitored and taken care of by medical personnel inside the six isolation buildings at PNPA.

To further control the spread of the disease, Cruz directed that all activities of cadets as well as visitations be stopped.

"There is stoppage of cadets' activities. Before they can go around the Academy and talk to persons, visitors. Now wala munang bisita, stop of all activities especially 'yung medyo mabigat na activities," Cruz said. — Anna Felicia Bajo/RSJ, GMA News