The Department of Health (DOH) on Monday said local governments in Metro Manila will be allowed to vaccinate any person willing to get a COVID-19 jab while the capital region is under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire stressed, however, that this will still depend on the supply of vaccines.
“According to the strategy and according to our vaccine czar, people can get vaccinated. Lahat ng gustong magpabakuna, maaari namang magpabakuna. Pero depende pa rin kasi 'yan sa supply,” Vergeire told a briefing.
(According to the strategy and according to our vaccine czar, people can get vaccinated. Everyone who wants to get vaccinated can do so. But that depends on the supply.)
“Ang tangi po naming paalala, kahit meron po tayong ganitong (Our only reminder is that even though we have this) strategy, the most vulnerable should still come first,” she added.
The National Task Force Against COVID-19 earlier recommended the vaccination of individuals who do not belong to the top priority groups as authorities race to contain the highly contagious Delta variant.
Vergeire assured vaccine recipients that they will be allowed to leave their homes even under ECQ in order to get to their vaccination site. She also called on local authorities to provide transportation for residents who will get vaccinated.
“Walk-ins will not be allowed. There will be pre-registration. Magkakaroon po ng strict scheduling para hindi nagkakaroon ng mass gathering sa ating bakunahan (There will be strict scheduling to avoid mass gatherings),” she added.
Metro Manila mayors previously said they were prepared for a stricter lockdown, provided that the national government would give cash aid and four million additional doses of COVID-19 vaccines.
The government later decided to place the capital region under ECQ from August 6 to 20.
The Philippines has vaccinated over 11 million individuals as of August 1.—LDF, GMA News