Pinay household worker dies of coronavirus in Dubai
A Filipina household worker died of coronavirus in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates earlier this month, according to Sam Nielsen's report on Super Radyo dzBB on Thursday, citing Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III.
It was not however clear if the 58-year-old Filipina died of the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) or the novel coronavirus (nCoV) that originated in Wuhan, China.
"Initially, sabi hindi coronavirus. That was February 1 report, hindi coronavirus. Pero February 2, coronavirus na," Bello said in an ambush interview.
FLASH REPORT: OFW na namatay noong Feb. 2 sa Dubai, namatay sa corona virus; bangkay ng Pinay, nakatakda nang i-cremate sa naturang bansa, ayon kay DOLE Sec Silvestre Belo. | via @dzbbsamnielsen pic.twitter.com/BgoQKFjpus— DZBB Super Radyo (@dzbb) February 6, 2020
Bello was quoted as saying in the report that the Filipina's death record only indicates "coronavirus."
Bello did not identify the Filipina, who died on February 2, but said she was from General Santos City.
The Filipina worked in Dubai for 22 years before her death.
The Philippine government is now working on having the Filipina's sister and children sent to Dubai where her body will be cremated.
According to the report, the government will provide the Filipina's children transportation fees for their travel to Dubai.
"I met the daughter kanina and they're going there. Kapag coronavirus, kwan agad, cremate agad," Bello said. —KBK/NB, GMA News