President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. on Friday mourned the death of two Filipinos in Turkey following the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that struck the said country and Syria.
"It is with deep regret that we learn of the passing of two Filipinos in the recent 7.8-magnitude earthquake that devastated Türkiye [Turkey]," Marcos said in a tweet.
"The Philippine Embassy continues to work tirelessly to verify any and all information on Filipinos affected by the quake," the President added.
According to the Philippine Embassy, the fatalities were initially reported as missing in Antakya. Authorities did not identify them but said it is already coordinating with the victims' families in the Philippines and in Turkey.
Meanwhile, a Filipino previously reported as missing was found to be alive, said the embassy.
The Philippine response team is already in Turkey to provide assistance to the victims of the massive earthquake that claimed the lives of 21,000 individuals.
The government has been evaluating the request of Syria for assistance from the Philippines. — Anna Felicia Bajo/RSJ, GMA Integrated News