A Filipino worker was killed in a hit-and-run accident Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, earlier this month, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Tuesday.
The DFA did not identify the victim, only saying that the victim is a 51-year-old construction worker from Butuan City.
"We extend our deepest sympathy with the family of our kababayan who died a few days ago from injuries he sustained in a hit-and-run accident in Jeddah," Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said.
Consul General Edgar Badajos said the victim was hit by a vehicle on June 12 and was taken to a hospital where he died from his injuries four days later.
Cayetano assured the family of the victim of assistance in the repatriation of his remains.
The Philippine Consulate General in Jeddah, meanwhile, said it has requested Saudi authorities to conduct a thorough investigation of the death of the victim following allegations of negligence on the part of the employer.
Badajos said the Consulate will also make inquiries with the hospital where the victim expired to determine if the employer extended all the possible assistance to keep him alive. —KBK, GMA News