Several residents affected by the ammonia leak in an ice plant in Navotas City on Wednesday were still left in trauma after the incident.
According to Mariz Umali’s report on “24 Oras” on Thursday, Charito Esponilla recalled that she thought she was already going to die as the smell of the chemical made it harder for them to breathe.
“Medyo po may trauma at kanina nararamdaman namin ‘yong hirap ng sitwasyon namin kahapon kasi sobrang hindi na halos kami makahinga dahil sobra po ‘yong amoy na hindi mo maintindihan,” she said.
“Kahapon nga hindi ko alam kung mamamatay na ako,” Esponilla added.
More than 3,000 residents from Sitios Isla Puting Bato and Santo Niño were affected by the incident. They were allowed to return to their homes on Wednesday night after the Bureau of Fire Protection said the oxygen level in the area already normalized.
Mayor Toby Tiangco said the city government would conduct counseling for the residents who experienced trauma due to the incident.
Two workers died while several others were injured after ammonia leaked from T.P. Marcelo Ice Plant and Cold Storage on Barangay North Bay Boulevard South on Wednesday afternoon.
The BFP’s investigation on the incident is still ongoing.
“Biyak-biyak ‘yong tangke natin so possible na siya ay resulta ng explosion so we will investigate on the matter kung ito ay talagang pumutok o ano nag-trigger ng pag-rapture ng tangke,” BFP NCR regional director Fire Chief Superintendent Gilbert Dolot said.
Tiangco already ordered for the temporary closure of the ice plant while investigation is ongoing.—Ma. Angelica Garcia/LDF, GMA News