ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

LTFRB suspends bus firm involved in EDSA Busway crash


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has suspended for 30 days the operations of the bus firm involved in a crash along the EDSA Busway in Quezon City on May 17.

The suspension covers 18 units operated by Baclaran Metrolink Bus, the LTFRB said.

“In the spirit of fairness and due process, we are giving the bus company and the driver the opportunity to explain. We already gave them the notice and we are expecting compliance in the soonest possible time,” LTFRB chairperson Vigor Mendoza said.

A bus conductor was injured after a passenger bus crashed into concrete barriers along a portion of the EDSA Busway near the MRT-3 Kamuning Station in Quezon City on Sunday.

The bus driver said he failed to notice the barriers while traveling southbound because passengers standing near him obstructed his view.

However, some passengers alleged that the driver had been checking or responding to messages on his mobile phone while driving.

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) earlier summoned the driver and the bus operator in connection with the incident.

The LTFRB said a total of 12 concrete barriers and one plastic barrier were damaged in the crash.

“We will determine in the course of the investigation the mental and physical fitness of the driver, as well as the roadworthiness of the bus,” Mendoza said.

The driver was ordered to undergo a drug test and attend road safety seminars.

Meanwhile, the bus company was directed to surrender the license plate of the unit involved within five days of receiving the show-cause order.

The hearing is scheduled for May 28. Failure to attend or comply may result in a P5,000 fine, Mendoza said.—MCG, GMA News