The death toll in the ongoing firefight in Marawi between government forces and local terror group Maute has risen to 310, a military official said Friday.
Lt. Col. Emmanuel Garcia, commander of the 4th Civil Relations Group, said based on the records of Joint Task Force Marawi, a total of 26 civilians have been killed by Maute while 1,629 have been rescued by troops, local government units and civil society organizations.
He said 225 terror group members were killed while 208 firearms were recovered.
On the government side, 59 have been recorded dead.
Garcia said the government troops have recovered and controlled strategic vantage points such as high buildings and key structures.
He said only four of the 96 barangays remain as problematic and the focus of military operations.
Garcia said the military continues to clear Marawi of the remaining terrorists still holed up in the city, rescue trapped residents, recover bodies of civilian casualties, and assist in relief operations.
He said AFP chief of staff Gen. Eduardo Año also reiterated his continuing guidance to the troops to put premium on civilian lives, respect for civilian properties during clearing operations, and complete discipline among men in uniform conducting military activities in the area.
On May 23, government troops conducted operation in Marawi after receiving information that Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon is hiding there. The government security forces were caught by surprise when Maute members attacked them.
The operation to rid the city of the local terror group has been ongoing since then. —KG, GMA News