Filtered By: Topstories
News

P5B unused Yolanda funds to be used for Marawi rehab —official


COTABATO CITY —Some P5 billion in unused national government fund intended for the victims of  super Typhoon Yolanda in 2013 will be realigned for the rehabilitation of war-ravaged Marawi City, a local official said Friday.

At a press conference, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Governor Mujiv Hataman also said that the regional government is  preparing immediate transitional shelter areas for residents in Marawi affected by the ongoing war in the city.

 

Army troopers in Marawi City during the contest for the fastest team to build a temporary shelter designed by Tarlac heritage foundation made mostly from indigenous materials during the visit of President Duterte last week in Barangay Bito Buadi Itowa evacuation camp in the City. F. Cabrera

“Our initial talks with the executive committee, the P5 billion unused money will be realigned, including the relief assistance of DSWD [Department of Social Welfare and Development],” Hataman said.

He claimed that the local government is in close coordination with the World Food Program (WFP) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), and that they have discussed with the Lanao del Sur provincial government regarding efforts for the rehabilitation of clustered groups.

But Hataman admitted that there is no concrete plan yet for the joint intervention effort pending assessment of the situation on the ground.

“There is an initial plan, and this is the ... transitional shelter and other infrastructure prospects with the help of public works and highways in the region.”

Hataman also revealed that the San Miguel Corporation has pledged to construct 1,000 household subdivision-type temporary shelters, and the PAG-IBIG housing project loan for Mindano State University and government employees of the city.

Earlier, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana hinted that the over four-month long Marawi crisis will end  in a few days. 

The military told dzBB on Saturday that government forces are still engaged in fierce battle with some 40 to 50 pro-ISIS Maute terrorists in the city. —LBG, GMA News

LOADING CONTENT