Eighty-four percent of the 1,715 local government units nationwide have condemned the alleged atrocities of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People's Army-National Democratic Front and declared them persona non grata in their respective localities, the Department of the Interior and Local Government said Monday.
Interior Undersecretary and National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said a total of 1,436 LGUs have passed resolutions condemning the alleged atrocities of the CPP-NPA-NDF, while the remaining 279 LGUs are deliberating on the matter.
“The resolutions of LGUs are solid proof of the condemnation of the CTGs and the resolutions belie the false claims of the Communist terrorists that they are supported by the people,” Malaya said in a statement.
He said six regions have achieved 100% declaration of persona non grata against the CPP-NPA-NDF - Central Luzon, MIMAROPA, Central Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, SOCCSKSARGEN, and the Cordillera Administrative Region.
In Metro Manila, nine cities have already passed resolutions and declared the CPP-NPA-NDP as persona non grata - Caloocan, Las Piñas, Mandaluyong, Muntinlupa, Navotas, Pasig, Quezon, San Juan, and Valenzuela.
Malaya said the DILG continues to ensure that "genuine peace" is achieved in communities through various programs such as the Retooled Community Support Program, Capacitating Urban Communities for Peace and Development, Barangay Development Program (BDP), and the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (ECLIP).
Under the BDP, Malaya said P12.3 billion or 75% of the total budget of P16.44 billion had been released to recipient LGUs as of May 23.
He added that under the ECLIP, 6,418 former rebels have been provided with financial assistance as of May 21.
Further, financial assistance of P5 billion was also extended to 42 LGU beneficiary provinces for the construction of halfway houses for surrendering former rebels.
Earlier, some lawmakers in both houses of Congress filed resolutions to conduct inquiries that would scrutinize the budget of the NTF-ELCAC following its alleged red-tagging of community pantry organizers.
National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon defended the funding for the task force, saying this was released to LGUs for their BDP. — DVM, GMA News