Malacañang said Tuesday the government will spend P13 billion to fund cash grants for low income Metro Manila residents in light of the two-week enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in the region that starts on August 6.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said the funding will be sourced from the savings of government agencies in accordance to Administrative Order 41 issued by President Rodrigo Duterte last May and the windfall of collection from the Bureau of Treasury.
"This is for 10.7 million residents worth P13.1 billion. That is the worth of the financial assitance that will be distributed," Roque said.
Roque also said on Tuesday that COVID-19 cases in Metro Manila increased by 65% compared with last week amid emergence of more infectious Delta variant, making the ECQ implementation necessary.
"We will not impose it if it is not needed," Roque added.
Roque, however, did not mention when the cash aid will be released.
Prior to the August ECQ for NCR, the government had also placed Iloilo province, Iloilo city and Gingoog City in Misamis Oriental under ECQ from July 16 to August 7.
The P1,000 per person or maximum of P4,000 cash aid per household for these three areas, however, was only approved last July 29. -MDM, GMA News