Filtered By: Topstories
News

Search, rescue ops continue for Agaton victims; death toll still at 172 —NDRRMC


Search, rescue ops continue for Agaton victims; death toll still at 172 —NDRRMC

The search and rescue operations will continue as the number of reported fatalities and missing persons due to Tropical Depression Agaton remained at 172 and 110, respectively, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Monday. 

Interviewed on Dobol B TV, NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal said authorities are hoping that they will still rescue survivors from the landslides.

“We're still hoping po, nanalangin pa rin po tayo na may mga naka-survive pa rin tayong mga kababayan (We’re still hoping and praying that there are still survivors),” he said.

Colonel Noel Vestuir, 802nd Infantry Brigade commander, pointed out that they still have not officially declared a search and retrieval operation to give hope to the families of the missing persons.

“Not necessarily officially kasi sabi nga natin palagi is habang tuloy natin hindi tayo nawawalan ng pag-asa na sana may makuha pa tayong buhay,” he said.

(Not necessarily officially because as we have said we will not lose hope that we can still rescue survivors as we continue the operations.)

In its 8 a.m. report, the NDRRMC said the reported death toll due to the onslaught of Agaton remained at 172 as of Monday morning.

The NDRRMC added that 156 of the reported fatalities were from Eastern Visayas, 11 from Western Visayas, three from Davao, and two from Central Visayas.

Meanwhile, 104 of the reported missing persons were from Eastern Visayas, five from Western Visayas and one from Davao, according to the NDRRMC.

Only the reports on 12 deaths, six injured, and six missing have been confirmed so far, the NDRRMC said.

A total of 2,015,514 people or 584,108 families were affected by Agaton in 2,423 barangays in Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Davao, Soccsksargen, Caraga, and Bangsamoro.

The NDRRMC said 10,402 houses were damaged—9,732 partially and 670 totally—in Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Davao, Soccsksargen, and Caraga.

Damage to agriculture reached P249,826,730 in Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Soccsksargen, and Bangsamoro, while  P6,950,000 of damage in infrastructure were reported in Western Visayas, Central Visayas,  Northern Mindanao, and Bangsamoro.

The NDRRMC said 506 flooding incidents, 88 landslides, six flash floods, and three maritime incidents were reported. At least 58 roads and eight bridges were still unpassable.

A total of 76 cities and municipalities experienced power interruption, of which 12 have been restored. Three areas also experienced water supply interruptions.

Forty-one ports suspended trips or have implemented suspension of operations, of which, six have already resumed operations. A total of 8,437 passengers; 2473 rolling cargoes; 14 vessels; and a motor banca remained stranded in some affected regions.

Also, NDRRMC said 192 classes and 139 work schedules have been suspended due to Agaton.

A total of 16 cities and municipalities declared a state of calamity, including Sara, Lemery, and Passi in Iloilo, Cateel in Davao Oriental, Trento in Agusan del Sur, and the entire province of Davao de Oro.

Assistance worth P50,402,495 has been provided to the affected areas, according to the NDRRMC.

President Rodrigo visited Agaton-struck areas in Leyte and Capiz last week, and assured survivors of assistance.

Pope Francis expressed “solidarity” to the victims of Agaton as he offered prayers for the “dead, injured, and displaced as well as those engaged in recovery efforts.” —KG, GMA News

LOADING CONTENT