The Commission on Elections has directed its law department to answer Impact Hub's demand for the payment of P15.3 million despite the cancellation of the third part of the debates in Eleksyon 2022.
In a statement, the Comelec also tasked its fact-finding investigation panel to immediately submit its recommendation on the matter, "identifying, if any, the laws and rules violated, and the personnel who committed such."
In a letter dated April 27, 2023, the contractor said that memorandum of agreement still stands even if the poll body “decided to unilaterally reschedule and eventually cancel the debates."
Impact Hub Manila warned that it will “avail legal remedies under the law to recover the debt and to protect the company’s interest” should Comelec fail to respond or to make a payment arrangement within the next five days upon the receipt of the notice.
The town hall debates, which were supposed to take place on April 30 and May 1, 2022, were scrapped after the checks issued by Impact Hub Manila worth P14 million to supposedly pay Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, the venue for the debates, bounced.
Impact Hub Manila, in a statement last year, said there were “misunderstandings” in the talks with Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila. —NB, GMA Integrated News