Filtered By: Topstories
News

P1B allotted for Marawi Siege Compensation Program in proposed 2024 nat'l budget


A total of P1 billion has been set aside for the Marawi Siege Victims Compensation Program in the proposed national budget for next year.

This was indicated in President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr.'s message about the P5.768-trillion proposed budget for 2024 that was submitted to the House of Representatives on Wednesday.

Marcos said the amount would be used to allow the Marawi Compensation Board to provide tax-free compensations and/or reparations to all qualified claimants whose properties and possessions have been damaged during the Marawi Siege in 2017.

Around 12,000 people are looking to file claims with the Marawi Siege Victims Compensation Fund, the Marawi Compensation Board has said.

From the opening of applications on July 4 until July 27, a total of 3,323 claimants had booked an appointment.

Only 2,283 people who completed the initial steps of the application had been screened.

Around 264 people were placed on a temporary docket due to a lack of requirements.

Victims who lost their homes during the Marawi Siege may claim compensation of P18,000 per square meter for totally damaged structures. —VBL, GMA Integrated News

LOADING CONTENT