Filtered By: Topstories
News

500 PDLs from Bilibid transferred to Davao, says BuCor


500 PDLs from NBP transferred to Davao, says BuCor

Around 500 persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) from the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) were transferred to the Davao Prison and Penal Farm over the weekend, according to the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).

The agency said this is part of its program to decongest the national penitentiary.

Among those transferred, 250 were from the maximum security compound, 50 from the medium security compound, and 200 were from the Reception and Diagnostic Center (RDC).

The RDC is a unit where PDLs undergo diagnostic examination and observation to determine the program of treatment and training that they need, as well as which institution they should be transferred to.

BuCor Director General Gregorio Catapang Jr. said the new PDLS stayed at the RDC for only 60 days before they are transferred out of Manila.

"Since we are in the process of decongesting the NBP and in preparation for the closure of NBP before 2028, we no longer admit new PDLs at the NBP," Catapang said in a statement.

The director general previously said he was looking to turn the BuCor headquarters in Muntinlupa into a "Global City."

At present, a total of 4,600 PDLs have been transferred out of the NBP.

“So far we have transferred 4,600, kaya medyo marami rami pa tayong ililipat, but hopefully we will hit our target by the end of the year,” Catapang said.

(So far we have transferred 4,600 so we will transfer a lot, but hopefully, we we will hit our target by the end of the year.)

The BuCor said it is seeking to transfer 10,900 others.

According to the agency, the 500 PDLs arrived at the DPPF on Monday afternoon.

They will be housed at new facilities in the penal farm, which Catapang said can accommodate 2,400 PDLs. — Joahna Lei Casilao/KBK/RSJ, GMA Integrated News 

LOADING CONTENT