Marcos on reports of Senate leadership change: Let's wait and see
President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Monday said that he would "wait and see" developments regarding the Senate leadership as they unfold amid reports of another brewing change.
“I guess we’ll just have to wait and see,” Marcos briefly said when asked about the reports of another change in the Senate leadership.
The President was in Mandaluyong City for the “Bawat Bayan Makikinabang” program, an initiative that aims to strengthen grassroots governance by directing national government resources to the barangay level while supporting education, food security, and community development.
Senator Alan Peter Cayetano was elected as the new Senate President on Monday, May 11, replacing Senator Vicente “Tito” Sotto III.
Rumors circulated that Cayetano will be ousted as Senate President this week, following the shooting incident at the Senate on Wednesday, May 13.
Tensions grew in the upper chamber last week following the release of an arrest warrant against Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa for his role in former President Rodrigo Duterte's administration's war on drugs.
During this Monday's plenary session, Senators Juan Miguel Zubiri and JV Ejercito identified themselves as members of the Senate minority bloc.
The Senate now comprises 13 members from the majority bloc and 11 from the minority bloc. –NB, GMA News