ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

ICC Registry formalizes appointment of new counsel for Duterte


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) Registry has formalized the appointment of lawyer Peter Haynes as the new counsel for former President Rodrigo Duterte in his crimes against humanity case.

“Mr. Haynes KC has previously executed the solemn undertakings as required under Article 5 of the Code, which remains valid throughout the proceedings before the Court,” it said in a 5-page document dated May 15.

It said Haynes confirmed he has no impediment to representing Duterte.

Haynes, a former president of the ICC Bar Association, replaced lawyer Nicholas Kaufman.

READ: Who is Peter Haynes?

According to the Trial Chamber, Kaufman made his request to withdraw on May 8, indicating that Duterte expressed a desire to release him from his representation and hire another counsel to replace him.

Duterte is facing charges for crimes against humanity for murder and attempted murder over alleged killings during his time as Davao mayor and president. — BM, GMA News