ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

PNP, NBI tasked to arrest 'fugitive' Bato dela Rosa —DOJ


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.
PNP, NBI tasked to arrest 'fugitive' Bato Dela Rosa, DOJ says

The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) have been directed to arrest Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa, according to Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida.

“I would like to confirm that Philippine law enforcement agencies, which would include the PNP, the NBI, are now tasked to effect the arrest of Senator Bato Dela Rosa,” Vida said in a press briefing on Thursday.

“Senator Bato is a fugitive from justice and he should be brought to the ICC to face the charges,” he added.

He said this is pursuant to the “validly issued” International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant.

Aside from this, Vida noted that Dela Rosa is not in the Senate premises, the non-issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) by the Supreme Court, as well as the enforcibility of the arrest warrant.

For its part, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said that it would adhere to its mandate.

“The DILG will adhere to its mandate. If the lawful authorities have given validity to the warrant then we will comply and enforce,” said DILG Secretary Jonvic Remulla in a statement.

Bring him to the ICC

Vida, however, declined to answer when asked if Dela Rosa will be immediately brought to the international tribunal, saying these are “operational matters.”

"These are operational matters that I cannot discuss so that we don't defeat the purpose of the arrest, which is the ultimate objective is to bring him to the ICC," the secretary said.

He said authorities have leads on Dela Rosa’s location.

Vida, meanwhile, warned individuals who may seek to help Dela Rosa.

“Ang sa akin din pong pakiusap, those who might be aiding, or abetting, or helping Senator Bato evade the law, there are consequences,” he said.

(My appeal as well is that those who might be aiding, abetting, or helping Senator Bato evade the law should know that there are consequences.)

“Alam natin na sa panuntunan ng rule of law may pananagutan. Hindi lamang po sa… batas ng Pilipinas, pati rin po sa batas ng ICC. Kasi dahil siya ay isang validly issued arrest warrant, diba ng ICC, meron din pong mga panuntunan,” he added.

(We know that under the rule of law there is accountability. Not only under the laws of the Philippines, but also under the laws of the ICC. Because it is a validly issued arrest warrant by the ICC, right, there are also rules regarding that.)

WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR: Where is Bato Dela Rosa?

The PNP, meanwhile, has said that it "takes note of the directive" issued by the DOJ and vows to "perform its mandate in accordance with existing laws, due process, and established operational procedures."

"The PNP respects the processes of the justice system and recognizes the authority of competent government agencies in the implementation of lawful orders," said PNP chief Police General Melencio Nartatez Jr. in a statement released hours after DOJ's directive.

"The PNP likewise assures the public that all actions undertaken shall remain impartial, professional, and within the bounds of the law, with full respect for the constitutional rights of all parties concerned," added Nartatez.

PNP also said that they've been alerted to be on the lookout and to intensify intelligence monitoring on all exit points, including the southern backdoor in relation to Dela Rosa's possible whereabouts.

Nartatez said their coordination with the Bureau of Immigration revealed that there is no record of travel of Sen. Dela Rosa outside the country.

TRO denied

A warrant of arrest has been issued for Dela Rosa after he was alleged to be a co-conspirator in the crimes against humanity charges in connection with the killings in the war on drugs of Rodrigo Duterte when he was mayor of Davao City and when he was president of the Philippines.

Dela Rosa's legal counsel on Wednesday maintained that although they recognize the existence of the arrest warrant issued by the ICC, they do not consider it enforceable in the Philippines.

The Supreme Court, meanwhile, has denied the Dela Rosa's request for a temporary restraining order (TRO) and/or status quo ante order (SQAO) in connection with his possible arrest based on the warrant issued by the ICC.

While Dela Rosa’s legal team respected the SC’s decision, it argued that the country’s own constitution must prevail. The lawyers also said they will file a motion for reconsideration.

“We respect the Honorable Court’s action on the application for interim relief. At the same time, it must be emphasized, with equal clarity, that the Supreme Court itself has stated that it acted only on the prayers for provisional relief,” said The Law Firm of Torreon and Partners, which represents the senator, in a statement.

“The main case remains alive. The constitutional questions remain squarely before the Supreme Court–and those questions are grave: whether the liberty of a Filipino may be placed at the mercy of a foreign process without the intervention of a Philippine court," it added.

'Valid'

Malacañang said Wednesday that the warrant of arrest issued by the ICC against Dela Rosa is “valid.”

“Sa ngayon, masasabi po natin na ang warrant of arrest ay valid laban dito kay Senator Bato dela Rosa,” Palace Press Officer Usec. Claire Castro said in a short interview with Palace reporters.

(For now, what we can say is that the arrest warrant against Senator Bato dela Rosa is valid.)

NBI director Melvin Matibag, meanwhile, has said they already have a lead on the whereabouts of Dela Rosa but refused to divulge it.

Andami-dami pong lead na binigay but we have a lead kung nasaan talaga pero, in the meantime, we will suspend 'yung announcement kung saan talaga siya," he added.

(We have received so many leads but we have a lead on where he really is but, in the meantine, we will suspend the announcement on his whereabouts.) —VAL/RF, GMA News