ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Benguet farmers struggle with low vegetable prices, oppose planned carrot imports


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.

Farmers in Benguet are facing heavy losses as cabbage prices continue to fall due to oversupply and rising transport costs, while concerns grow over the government’s plan to import 6,000 metric tons of carrots.

Benguet, known as the country’s “Salad Bowl,” supplies nearly 80% of the upland vegetables sold in Metro Manila, but many farmers now say their harvests are not bringing enough income to cover production costs.

According to a report on "Kapuso Mo Jessica Soho," cabbage prices have dropped to as low as P4 to P10 per kilo in some areas, forcing farmers to sell at a loss or leave produce to rot and be used as fertilizer.

Jessica Soho personally visited the area in Benguet to assess the situation.

Mona, who grows vegetables with her husband, Efren, in Kabayan, Benguet, told the KMJS team that they struggle to recover their investment.

“Kung hindi talagang mabibili, wala na. Ibabalik sa hardin,” she said. “Pinapatpat namin at ilalagay sa lupain para pampataba ng mga lupa.”

[“"If it really can't be sold, that's it. It will be returned to the garden. We chop it into pieces and put it in the soil to serve as fertilizer.”]

Mona said cabbage ideally sells for around P20 per kilo, but current farm prices range only from P4 to P5.

Her husband Efren, who suffered a knee injury and can no longer walk properly, continues farming despite his condition. The couple said they spent about P40,000 on their crops but expect to earn only around P15,000.

Aside from low prices, farmers said fuel costs and transport expenses are worsening their situation. Vegetables must be cleaned and transported from farms to trading centers and markets, where damage and spoilage further reduce profits.

Lope, a farmer who has worked in agriculture for four decades, said farming has become increasingly uncertain.

“Hindi nakakabuhay sa amin 'yung presyong ganyan,” he said, adding that the low prices threaten his family’s future, including his child’s education.

["A price like that can't sustain our livelihood."]

Farmers also expressed worry about the Department of Agriculture’s proposal to import carrots.

“Kapag mag-i-import sila, ang mangyayari sa tanim ng local farmers ay babagsak, magiging basura. Imbes na maging ginto, wala na. Tapon at wala nang pakikinabangan,” Lope said.

[“When they import, what will happen to the local farmers' crops is that the prices will collapse, and they will just turn into garbage. Instead of becoming gold, they become nothing. Thrown away and no longer of any use.”]

Some farmer groups protested in La Trinidad, Benguet, with vendors and farmers lighting candles to call attention to their concerns.

Others traveled to Manila in hopes of speaking at a Senate hearing scheduled for May 12, but the hearing was canceled following leadership changes in the Senate.

Chef and agricultural advocate Waya Araos-Wijangco, who supports Benguet farmers, said many were disappointed after spending time and money to attend.

“They bought bus tickets and traveled for hours to Manila because they believed that maybe, finally, the government would listen. Then yesterday afternoon came the notice: the hearing was canceled,” she earlier posted on social media.

Araos-Wijangco said the cancellation meant farmers lost the chance to formally place their concerns on public record.

“There's a significant difference between a meeting and a Senate hearing,” she said. “Kapag Senate hearing ‘yan, everything we say goes on public record at mas mabilis aksyunan.”

[“There's a significant difference between a meeting and a Senate hearing. When it's a Senate hearing, everything we say goes on public record and can be acted upon much faster.”]

Senator Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan, who had been set to hear the farmers’ concerns, said traders often place farmers at a disadvantage.

“Naiipit sila ng mga trader,” Pangilinan said.

[“They are being cornered by the traders.”]

He also pointed to the Sagip Saka Law, which allows government agencies and local governments to buy directly from farmers and fisherfolk without public bidding and distribute food to vulnerable sectors.

“Sa Sagip Saka Law, puwedeng bumili ang gobyerno direkta sa ating farmers at fisherfolk wala ng public bidding,” he said.

[“Under the Sagip Saka Law, the government can buy directly from our farmers and fisherfolk without public bidding.”]

The Department of Agriculture, however, defended the planned carrot imports, saying supply shortages exist in other parts of the country.

“While ang pananaw ng ibang magsasaka sa lugar nila, marami silang carrots, but in other parts of the country, wala namang production,” Department of Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said. “The national perspective is short tayo ng carrots for May, June and July.”

[“While the perspective of other farmers in their area is that they have plenty of carrots, but in other parts of the country, there is actually no production. The national perspective is we are short on carrots for May, June and July.”]

The agency also said long-term solutions are needed to avoid oversupply.

“Kailangan talaga magkaroon tayo ng pag-uusap at maayos na planting calendar,” the DA said. “Huwag sabay-sabay magtanim. Huwag sabay-sabay mag-harvest.”

[“We really need to have a dialogue and establish a proper planting calendar. Do not plant all at the same time. Do not harvest all at the same time.”]

The DA added that cold storage facilities in vegetable-producing areas are expected to be completed this year.

Benguet Provincial Agriculturist officials also addressed concerns over transport expenses, saying toll fees are privately managed and that food lane applications have been arranged to help reduce costs.

“With the energy crisis po is meron pong applications na ginawa ng food lane kaya free po ang toll fees going to Manila,” Provincial Agriculturist Delinia Juan said.

[“Regarding the energy crisis, there were food lane applications made so that the toll fees going to Manila would be free.”]

Some groups, meanwhile, are trying to bridge the gap between farmers and consumers.

Rural Rising Philippines buys vegetables from farmers at prices higher than farm rates and delivers them to Metro Manila.

Co-founder Andie said supply problems are often caused by distribution issues rather than true overproduction.

“May pangangailangan naman ang merkado. Pero hindi lang nakakarating. So nagmumukha siyang overproduction,” she said.

[“There is actually a market demand. It’s just not reaching it. So it looks like overproduction.”]

Araos-Wijangco and farmer leader Sherly Biase also organized Greens for Good in 2023, connecting farmers directly to hotels, restaurants and institutional buyers to reduce dependence on traders.

Farmers in Benguet are now calling for stronger support, including direct marketing systems and agricultural facilities such as greenhouses, which they say can provide more lasting help than short-term assistance.

“Ang gusto po namin ay tumulong sila na maghanap ng direct marketing,” one farmer said, appealing for government support that would connect farmers more directly with consumers and reduce reliance on middlemen.

[“What we really want is for them to help us look for direct marketing.”]

For orders, you may contact:

RURAL RISING PHILIPPINES

Contact number: 09175017787

Instagram account: @ruralrisingph

GREENS FOR GOOD

Contact number: 09655233160

Instagram account: @greensforgood.ph

—JCB, GMA News