Lacson says P1.939 trillion flood control spending failed to stop floods
Senator Panfilo “Ping” Lacson on Monday questioned the effectiveness of the government’s flood control efforts, noting that the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) spent P1.939 trillion on its flood control management program from 2011 to 2025, yet flooding continues to plague parts of the country.
Lacson raised the issue as heavy monsoon rains triggered widespread flooding and disrupted activities in several areas, including Metro Manila, in recent days.
“FLOOD CONTROL VS UNCONTROLLED FLOOD: PhP1.939 trillion funded the DPWH flood control management program under three presidents from 2011-2025 and the result is uncontrolled flood,” Lacson said in a post on X.
The senator cited historical data on DPWH flood management spending under the Aquino, Duterte and Marcos administrations from 2011 to 2025, with annual funding for flood management breaching the P100-billion mark in 2018:
2011: P11.323 billion
2012: P10.816 billion
2013: P15.817 billion
2014: P30.001 billion
2015: P47.849 billion
2016: P67.740 billion
2017: P81.223 billion
2018: P139.001 billion
2019: P126.062 billion
2020: P116.047 billion
2021: P140.462 billion
2022: P145.622 billion
2023: P287.018 billion
2024: P346.771 billion
2025: P372.814 billion
Lacson observed that while the DPWH spent more than P1 trillion on flood management for the past 15 years - or some P350 million a day -the problem still persists.
He had earlier exposed anomalous flood control projects in areas including Bulacan and Mindoro Oriental through privilege speeches and Blue Ribbon Committee hearings.
The senator had also uncovered several allegedly anomalous slope protection projects and illegal reclamation activities in Taguig City, and have turned over the related evidence to the Office of the Ombudsman.—LDF, GMA News