Palace: Those seeking transparency should also be transparent; no one being singled out on travel authority
Following Vice President Sara Duterte’s remark that all travel authorities should be made public, Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro said that individuals who demand transparency must also be transparent.
In a press briefing, Castro said transparency works both ways.
“Kung sino ‘yung nag de-demand ng transparency, dapat maging transparent din siya sa kanyang mga activities. At patungkol sa budget, hindi din po ito tinatago, kumpletong resibo, walang peke, walang alias,” the Palace spokesperson said.
(Whoever demands transparency should also be transparent about their activities. And as for the budget, it is not being hidden either, there are complete receipts, no fake receipts, and no aliases.)
Though Castro did not expound, it can be recalled that the Department of Education and the Office of the Vice President’s controversial acknowledgment receipts was recently tackled at Duterte’s impeachment trial.
“Maari po itong makita at ito rin po ay nare-report sa COA,” she added.
(This can be examined, and it is also reported to the Commission on Audit.)
On Tuesday, Vice President Sara Duterte said she expects that all travel authorities issued by the Palace, together with the corresponding travel expenses and public funds involved, be made available to the public
Castro said Malacañang is willing to provide information to members of the media should it ask about the travel authorities issued to government officials.
She stressed that no government official is being singled out.
“Depende po ‘yan sa media. Kung sino po ang hihingin niyo na travel authority, kung sino ang na-isyuhan ng travel authority, kami naman ay tutugon. Hindi po namin sinisingle out,” she said.
(It depends on the media. Whoever you request a travel authority for, and whoever was issued a travel authority, we will respond accordingly. We are not singling anyone out.)
The Palace official also said that the Office of the President has always been transparent regarding its travels.
“Nagkakaroon pa nga po ng pag re-report, may kapihan pa po, at nakikita niyo po kung anong nangyayari sa foreign trips, official visits, working visits ng ating Pangulo,” she said.
(There are even reports being made, and there are also press briefings, so you can see what is happening during the President’s foreign trips, official visits, and working visits.)
Castro previously confirmed that a travel authority was issued for Duterte. Malacañang, however, later said Duterte canceled her personal trip to Japan this month.
Duterte, in a statement, said her “plans have since changed, and the updated information on this matter was formally submitted to the Office of the President.” She also raised concerns about publicizing her schedule.
For her part, Castro said she was asked by members of the media to confirm whether a travel authority was issued to Duterte for her trip to Japan.
“Wala pong lumabas na balita mula sa amin. Tinanong niyo lamang kung confirmed ho ang travel authority ng Bise Presidente at bilang tugon ay sinabi namin na confirmed,” she said.
(No news came from us. You simply asked whether the Vice President’s travel authority was confirmed, and in response, we said that it was confirmed.) —RF, GMA News