Palace: Raps should be filed vs mastermind behind fake witnesses
Malacañang on Thursday said charges should be filed against the masterminds behind witnesses who provide false testimonies, expressing concern that the motive behind such schemes is to create destabilization.
“Dapat itong maimbestigahan. Kung sino ang dapat na sampahan ng kaso, sampahan ng kaso. Kung sino ‘yung mastermind sa pagpapagawa ng ganitong klaseng scenario, sampahan ng kaso,” Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro said at a press briefing.
(This should be investigated. Whoever should be charged should be charged. Whoever masterminded the creation of this kind of scenario should also be charged.)
This came following the recantation of the Orly Guteza, ex-lawmaker Zaldy Co’s former aide who tagged Leyte Representative Martin Romualdez to the flood control controversy.
Castro, however, said that that the recantation should still be verified.
“Kailangan din po na maimbestigahan kung ano ‘yung sinabi ni Mr. Guteza, na ma-verify kung lahat ng sinabi niya ngayon after siya mag recant ay may katotohanan. So dapat ma check nang mabuti lahat,” she said.
(It is also necessary to investigate what Mr. Guteza said and verify whether everything he said now, after recanting, is truthful. So everything should be thoroughly checked.)
To recall, Guteza was a surprise witness who previously claimed that he personally delivered cash to the residences of Co and Romualdez.
Following his testimony, Guteza disappeared from public eye.
He has executed a new affidavit, claiming that Senator Rodante Marcoleta and former Congressman Mike Defensor had tapped him to make up accusations against the Leyte congressman in exchange for money and scholarships for his children.
When asked about the implications of the recantation, Castro said this shows there are many attempts to destroy the reputation of others, possibly to create destabilization.
“Maraming nag-a-attempt gumawa ng pekeng kwento para sirain kung sino man ‘yung gusto nilang sirain. At maaaring isa sa mga reasons na ito ay destabilization. So hindi lang ito ang nababanggit na merong nagmamanipula, ‘di umano, sa mga tao na maging false witness, at ang offer ay pera,” she said.
(Many are attempting to create fake stories to discredit whoever they want to discredit. And one possible reason for this may be destabilization. So this is not the only instance mentioned in which people were allegedly being manipulated into becoming false witnesses, with money being offered.)
Castro said this is concerning because it will undermine the country's justice system and will also undermine the people’s trust because more false information, fake news, and misinformation will be put out, which will affect the truth.
Meanwhile, Castro said Marcos had no reaction to Guteza’s recantation.
“Hindi naman ho nahuhuli ang pangulo sa mga balita at wala siyang reaction na nabigay sa atin,” she said.
(The President is not out of touch with the news, and he has not given us any reaction.) — RSJ, GMA News